Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The words of Job

Maybe one powerful reason that Job was strong enough to survive the loss of everything but his soul, when even his life had become loathsome to him, was what his life had stood for, what the quality and the worth of his very being had meant to others.
Job never heard the words of Jesus: "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
But Job lived by them.
He honored the great commandment: love each other.

"I delivered the poor who cried out,
The fatherless and the one who had no helper.
The blessing of a perishing man came upon me,
And I caused the widow's heart to sing for joy.
I put on righteousness, and it clothed me;
I was eyes to the blind,
And I was feet to the lame.
I was a father to the poor,
And I searched out the case that I did not know.
I broke the fangs of the wicked,
And I plucked the victim from his teeth."
                                          -Job 29: 12-17

"For God so loved the world...."

Christmas is on the calendar, and we rejoice.
Better still that Christmas be in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment