Friday, December 31, 2010

At year's end.

Old Year's Day is meant, I think, for busy human beings to find a chair in a quiet corner, and think.
Think back on the year that was.
Think back on the person who was alive in it--yourself.
Think back on the things done, and not done.
Think back on the places seen, and the things discovered.
Think back on the new people met, and the "old" people lost.
Think back on the things that troubled body or soul, and that seem to have no end.
Think back on the good things that filled the heart, and be glad.
Think back on family and friends who entered the dark places of life, and saw little light.
Think back on a suffering world for which Jesus may be weeping still, and pray.
Think back on agents of goodness that reached out to arms outstretched, and give thanks.

We can only think back, for all our yesterdays are history.
We cannot think ahead, for all our tomorrows are mystery.

But we do have choice.
We can choose to make our life mean something, today and tomorrow too.
During these waning hours of 2010, it's good to remember the words of Jimmy Carter:

"I have one life and one chance to make it count for something.
I am free to choose what that something is, and the something I have chosen is my faith.
My faith demands...that I do whatever I can, wherever I am, for as long as I can, with whatever I have, to try to make a difference."

Maybe a difference for all the tomorrows to come.
In God's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment