Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Election 2016: the next day



I want to share the post below, written this morning by a colleague, because it resonates deeply with my own feelings and my need to be reminded that we bear the image of God and are here to love our neighbor in the name of Christ.






Dear colleagues,

As a scholar and teacher of minority literatures and gender studies, I know I have some hurting students and colleagues who need some encouragement today. I hope the rest of you will indulge me. I send this message to you who are grieving or fearful this morning:

As I lay awake last night, my heart was with all of you whom I dearly love who fear that the results of this election signal a social endorsement of discrimination and hate, so to you I send this message:

To my African American friends who fear their lives still will not matter, that they will continue to be “them”; to my Latino and Mexican family and friends who fear further vilification and accusations; to my LGBTQ friends and family who fear steps backward in attaining full equality, respect, and social acceptance; to my Muslim friends who fear increased religious hatred and discrimination; to my friends in the refugee community who fear more cold rejection as they flee from terror; to my dear friends in the disability community who fear unchecked mocking, bullying, and discrimination; to my environmental activist friends who fear the loss of any chance to protect the earth and end environmental racism; to my Native American friends who fear that the evil unleashed by Euro-American greed and love of power will continue unchecked, destroying cultures and Mother Earth; and to all the women who fear that sexual assault and harassment has been trivialized and will be increasingly excused and unpunished: I grieve and mourn with you. And I vow in the days, months and years to come to pray with you, stand with you, and fight with you. May we work together against the realization of these fears; our strength has never lain in politicians or governments but in God and each other, working together.

I look to you with great thankfulness for the models of resilience, resistance, solidarity, and steadfastness in the face of discrimination and oppression that you have been to me and so many others over the generations. I am constantly reminded that Jesus left the 99 to go after the one, that He formed his intimate circle around the marginalized and oppressed. We are not forgotten. I pray for that day when the image of God, Creator, in each of us will be recognized, honored, revered, and defended with divine strength; I pray for that day when hearts of stone will be turned to hearts of flesh, when Love will finally reign.

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)


Grace and peace,

Linda Naranjo-Huebl
Associate Professor
English Department
1795 Knollcrest Cir. SE
Grand Rapids, MI  49546
LN22@calvin.edu

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your words. It is especially good to know that this is coming from a Calvin College professor.

    ReplyDelete