Thursday, March 28, 2013

Maundy Thursday

I must follow you, Lord, on this Lenten Journey
I must go where you went
with ears and eyes wide open
if I'm to change.

I follow you to the "holy city,"
and hear the pity and anguish in your words:
"O Jerusalem, how often I have longed
to gather your children, all of them
as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings
but you were unwilling."
I think of Jews, Arabs, all your children
who have not come, but kill each other
and break your heart.
Lord, let me not get lost of hide among
the heedless sons and daughters
of my own Jerusalem.

I follow you to another place
the Upper Room where bread
becomes your body, wine your blood.
I'd much prefer to keep it simply bread and wine
and not remember that for me
your body broke and your blood flowed.
I feel unworthy of such sacrifice.
It's so hard to let go of this guilt of mine
freely receive your pardon and your grace...

Now I must follow you along the Garden path,
but I'm afraid,
for there the Prince of Darkness waits.

Must you go on, dear Lord?
For me?  For me?

                                             -fr. Talking with God

No comments:

Post a Comment